Saturday, February 7, 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday - Cape Leeuwin LightHouse




The is my 2nd trip to Perth, Augusta. First trip with my wife and as you can see from the photo above, with my son. One of the unique features of this place is that it is the area where the Indian and the Southern Oceans meets. Very beautiful place and not to mention, very windy. Lighthouse was built in 1895 and took 1 year to complete.

Original idea was the lighthouse was mooted in 1881. The light was totally manually operated until 1982 when it was converted to electricity replacing the clockwork mechanism & kero burner, one of the last in the world. This light was automated in September 1992. The tower has seven floors and 186 steps.

4 comments:

Sparky said...

I have a sister in law that collects the little lighthouse statues. I tend to gravitate towards them myself. Excellent choice for today. Puts one in a happy mood. :o)
Thank you for following my blog. I'll try not to disappoint with boring posts. ♥ ∞

Gulfmann Collection said...

Very nice lighthouse, please see
my small collections of lighthouse
stamps and postcards,
http://gulfmann.blogspot.com/

Marie Reed said...

I especially love the first image! The white is so blazingly beautiful agaist the blue sky!!! Great post! Happy PFF!

eKohs said...

Thanks folks : )

Powered by WebRing.
 
Blogger design by freebloggerdesigns.com